Tuesday, July 6, 2010

ugh day...#1

I just saw someone die.

53 years old. He had a stroke 3 days ago and they didn't have enough money to bring him to a hospital because they lived too far away. I'm not sure how they found the money to bring him today but he showed up panting in a cold sweat, mouth open eyes blank. We put him on a stretcher and got some vials. Blood pressure 198/148 Pulse 60 Temp 94 O2 saturation at 46% Respirations 28 in a Kussmaul pattern turning into Cheyne Stokes. He was going and we all knew it.


We gave him some Labetelol to bring his blood pressure down a bit. Then we couldn't find a blood pressure so we gave him Atropine. His pulse was weak peripherally and his heart was barely audible over the apex of the heart. He was sweating profusely and was super cold and clammy. Then he stopped breathing. He would still look at you but you could tell he was gone.


As he was dying, one of our docs went to find another doc to get a second opinion. I was alone with this man in the ER watching him suffer and die. I brought his wife over to ask if she wanted to be with him or hold his hand because there was nothing else we could do for him. She was stoic. No response. No emotion. Meanwhile, I'm trying to hold it together... and doing a very poor job at it. She went to get her daughter. Her daughter started making the phone calls to take care of his body after he died. They looked at him, but barely and very emotionless.

Then he went. He took his last little gasps and that was it.


I can't help but think about the trauma so many Hatians have been through and will continue to go through as they keep on living in such awful conditions.

We had a 50 year old man come in earlier in the day who had cut his hand with a machete. He hadn't eaten for days. When I asked him why, he said it was because he had no wife to cook for him, no money to buy food, and no job to get money. I had nothing else to say. I could have asked him about his wife's death but I was too scared to find out. I would love to tell him to get a job but there's no job to be had. We don't have enough money to give out food along with medical supplies. We barely have enough money to continue to run the hospital.


I'm so so so thankful for this hospital. I have to give an update every night at our meeting and I always joke about how we save lives. Its true though. So many more people would have died if it were not for this hospital. For example, Jean Claude works outside in our clinic. He's our crowd control. He brought in his daughter last week cause she was vomiting and had some awful fevers at night. The doc on at the time thought she might have had worms so gave her a quick pill and sent her off. She said she didn't want to test for malaria cause she didn't have a fever. I should have spoken up but ... I didn't. I know malaria causes your fever to spike at night and I should have said something but I didn't. Jean Claude came in the next two days saying how his daughter still wasn't better. I kept telling him to bring her back and I'll test her. He finally did and as I was doing the test, he was telling me how his wife died 8 years ago because of Malaria. Who knows if that's true but regardless, she died... and she didn't have a hospital to go to. That's when I'm so thankful. So thankful for this hospital and the opportunity to be a part of the healing that happens here on a daily basis.


I sometimes question if I can emotionally handle what this country brings to me. I forget where I am because it's so familiar now. I walk by houses that are pancakes on a daily basis and it's normal. I greet people in their shanty makeshift tent shelters and smile as I walk by. I have 2 year olds chanting Christina running at me with open arms no pants and a t shirt on. (Donaldson is one of my favorites who does this.) It feels so right to be here and so essential to keep on doing what I'm doing so I'll continue to heal and hug and kiss and smile but my heart is broken. Broken beyond what I'm able to fix and I'm not sure I'd want to.


Okay, that's the end of it. Basically, it's been a tough day. Thank you for reading my rant. I love you guys. Please remember how to live simply with compassion and remember. Remember Haiti. Remember Katrina victims. Remember what love and life are truly about. Remember to kiss and hug your family. Remember what matters.



christina

2 comments:

  1. I love you Catie! You are an inspiration and I am more and more proud of you everyday. I am glad to hear you are enjoying your time there even if there are some tough experiences involved. Stay safe and I can't wait to see you again.

    Love,
    Nano

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, You seem to be doing AWESOME no matter what's been thrown at you. Your heart is doing the right thing with love and care for those people around you. I love you and can't wait to see you. Let me know when is good for me to go visit so I can plan.LOVE YOU,LOVE YOU, love you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete