Monday, May 24, 2010

APRIL 15

So it's Thursday and seriously what.a.day! I was doing triage today for the less acute patients, sending them to clinic to be seen for simple stuff like scabies, head aches, stomach pains from not eating or from a little parasite giving them diarrhea and vomiting, and ringworm and different wounds that are crazy nasty infected. It was kinda boring after being in the busy busy hospital. After I was done with triage I went on a run with one of the other volunteers for about 4 hours. Mind you, it's crazy hot here but the winds were strong enough to get us through. We ended up making it to the beach and seeing far more trash than sand but it was beautiful all the same. When I got back to the house I changed and went to the clinic to wait for a new baby to come. A mom who already has 5 babies was ready to pop! She was totally dilated and ready to have her baby. The doctor was telling her to push but she said she wasn't ready. Physically, she was ready. Her body was ready for the baby but she knew much better. About another hour later she said she was ready. All of the americans had gone back to the house and I was there holding her hand. A Haitian doctor was there but he wasn't wearing any gloves I looked down and she started pooping. As I was thinking about the cloth I needed to clean up her poop, a girl walked by to say (very nonchalantly) "Oh look, she's presenting." I looked down and I saw a baby head. The doctor was stumbling around trying to find gloves so I reached down to grab the baby head and start suctioning the babies nose and mouth. After the doctor put his gloves on he came to get the rest of the baby out. Seriously, it was insane and I techincally was the first person to every touch that baby. It was insane. I can't believe it. Health baby boy. Pictures when I get home for sure! Anyways,I just had to tell you all. It was the craziest thing that maybe I've ever been a part of. I've seen births before but really never truely been a part of it the way I was tonight.

Alright kids. I love you. I'm sleeping rich and full again tonight. Thank you so much for all of your prayers. Thank God than neither of us has gotten sick or heat stroke (at least 2-3 volunteers have needed IV fluids each day). Keep us in your prayers. We're getting a little tired and sleep is precious. Those blasted dogs bark all night though! I just may bring home a dog and a little baby.... oh and this 7 year old boy with his mom. I'll tell you about him soon.

besos.

Te amo!

tina


No comments:

Post a Comment