Monday, May 24, 2010

MAY 1


Sorry it's been so long since i've updated. I only have a few minutes now.

I'm tired. I'm emotionally wiped out and while last night I was so excited to stay another week, I don't know if I will. Home sounds good.... but so does Haiti. So I'm torn. The team coming in only has one nurse for a whole hospital....which would be impossible.

This week was emotionally and physically exhausting. On tuesday a 44 year old woman miscarried a baby. They think it was due to intentional trauma i.e. husband kicking her in the stomach or her punching herself in the stomach. The doctor handed me the fetus which was about 25 weeks old... about the size of a coke can... and I had to take the body to the incinerator. I didn't cry. But I also dont think I really let myself process it. It was awful.

Since the team was so strong this week I was able to take it easy and not be in the hospital for really long days (suuuuuch a nice break). That allowed me to go help out a different non profit we're working with called Hands On Disaster Relief. They are intense and so incredible. It's about 100 volunteers demolishing houses and manually moving rubble. They work the hardest longest days ever. I worked with them for two afternoons sweating my balls off. I was crazy sore the next day but it felt so good to do some mindless work for a while. It was also good to be in the community and meet some people who have lost most everything and watch them recover little trinkets like shirts and photos.


That's all for now. I feel low on energy but still not sick, thank god. Love you guys. Starting to miss you :) be home soon?


xoxoxoxo

tina


p.s. I have totally given out my share of kisses to the little ones for you all. Kids run to me now and say 'bo' before I get a chance to ask them for one. They also know my name and make me feel crazy popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment